Saturday, February 06, 2010

this side of nirvana

In Sara Jenkins spiritual memoir, she writes, "I tried to pretend that it was all as wonderful in the moment as I knew it would be in retrospect." (P.28).

I think quote captures Jenkins' style, she's honest in her yearning and where she is. What is this feeling that we could be a better person, and yet we need to stay grounded in who we really are?

I find how we work with spiritual ideals really interesting. It's so tempting to just ape being a good Buddhist, for me. The more silent you are the more others can project spiritual depth onto you. The challenge is to open your mouth and create a real relationship with others, who really know you and have a sense of what you can be. It's lovely to be seen not for just what you are, but also what you would like to become. This is something you have to be in tune with someone else to really grasp more or less accurately. Finding these deep relationships is not easy in this world of distraction and struggle for existence, which really means a comfortable existence with the right about of entertainment gadgets (for me, for me, I'm always just really talking about my experience, I can't really presume to know you, dear reader). Writing this I think I need to think more about my digital distraction! I'm going close my laptop and go meditate!

PS--Over at Bodhi Tree Swaying, he shares his lovely musical taste.

Also just read Jayarava's lovely post.

And I just found this lovely new blog: Insight Young Voices, about Dalit youth in India.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is an interesting quote. It is similar to how I see myself, except I tend to always see things as wonderful in the moment as I know they will be in retrospect. No pretending.

I also love this piece, "The challenge is to open your mouth and create a real relationship with others, who really know you and have a sense of what you can be. It's lovely to be seen not for just what you are, but also what you would like to become."

Are these your words? One of the most beautiful experiences for me, in my life, is seeing the potential in someone. It is something that happens naturally. It can also be a very bitter experience, when I see so much potential in someone it hurts and the other person doesn't get it.

Anyway, great post. I look forward to reading more...