Thursday, August 29, 2019

My conservative Christian relative posted articles

The democratic party appreciates non-religious people. Studies show they are more ethical, know more about religion than religious people. America was founded on the freedom of religion and the freedom from religion.

This website Christian Headlines, posted an article quoting the appreciation of a block of people who are not religious. Here is the first paragraph:

The Democratic National Committee passed a first-of-its-kind resolution Saturday recognizing the “ethical soundness” and “importance” of religiously unaffiliated Americans while contending such voters “share the Democratic Party’s values.”

What I find controversial is that they are hoping this will whip up support for Trump. The idea that this information would activate people to vote against an alternative to Trump is unsettling. I didn't like Bush or Reagan but I couldn't list the reasons and grounds to impeach them that gets added to daily.

Tolerance and acceptance of others spiritual path is vital, important to the country. You're not free to choose something if you have to choose it.

One of the comments to my uncle's post joked about how they are intolerant. The pretzel logic is astonishing. Turning tolerance into "intolerance". The article had its effect.

Another uncle posted this article.

Here is my response: I would sign on if the pro-life platform included gun restrictions and decreasing the size of the military, a president that increases violence with his murderous rhetoric, and one and on. This is a manic reparation for other murderous policies. But I'm glad there's one little spot where life is cherished for a certain mindset.

I would add that that mindset is usually patriarchal and has lead to women needing to assert their independence over their bodies. These knots Americans get themselves. I wish to transcend them and have compassion, joy and love for all of them.

I don't have any hope for discussion on FB. I'll go to learn and lurk. Conservatism isn't one thing. My one friend just doesn't want to pay for abortions out of selfishness, not pro-life ideas. As if there were affordable healthcare available to everyone, and there were not murderous governors who subvert it. As if there were pro-life policies for after the birth of the child. Trump wants to deport children with health issues there for asylum. Why aren't people up in arms about that, why aren't they pro-life there.

So as a Buddhist I have to step back and search for insight. I wish everyone in every group or lack of group, can do this as well.

No comments: