Tuesday, June 02, 2020

SN 22.79 Khajjanīya Sutta: Being Devoured

Sujato calls it Itchy, but I like being devoured much better, in the Bodhi translation.

One of the monks I've been talking to do a constant scan of the 5 aggregates (form, feeling, perception, volition and consciousness). He finds a deepest explication of the volitions here:

“And why, bhikkhus, do you call them volitional formations? ‘They construct the conditioned,’ bhikkhus, therefore they are called volitional formations. And what is the conditioned that they construct? They construct conditioned form as form; they construct conditioned feeling as feeling; they construct conditioned perception as perception; they construct conditioned volitional formations as volitional formations; they construct conditioned consciousness as consciousness. ‘They construct the conditioned,’ bhikkhus, therefore they are called volitional formations.

When I read that, I thought of Bahiya,

"in what is seen there will be only what is seen, in what is heard there will be only what is heard, in what is sensed there will be only what is sensed, in what is cognized there will be only what is cognized,"

I hear a noise outside my window. They are doing some sort of construction involving digging into the cement along the sidewalk of my block. I find the noise irritating. But what they are doing, I don't know. I form the volition to look out my window and see what they are doing. I want a more specific form. Is it putting in new pipes? Is it planting a tree? It's probably pipes.

The Buddha suggests we get devoured by the 5 aggregates.

I also think about the 12 Nidanas, where the gap between feeling (vedena) and craving (tanha)--that's where all the trouble begins.

Same too with the 5 aggregates, we can spin off on stories about form, feeling, perception, volition, and consciousness.

Also in scanning the 5 aggregates, it's important to be aware of the body. Mindfulness of the body. I tend to spin off, have an alienated awareness through thinking.

Even my spinning off to Bahiya, to the Nidanas, to alienated awareness is part of the consciousness aggregate. I'm going to read and reread this sutta, and meditate on it with body awareness. I hope I can keep to this focus. I have a flighty mind that spins off so easily.

No comments: