Friday, April 29, 2011

4 book comments

So I'm in the process of trying to do a review of this book for Wildmind: Mindfulness For Dummies (Book + CD). I'm not against this kind of secular mindfulness. I think you can apply it to everything: stress, relaxation, pain management. It's a good thorough book.

Speaking of application of mindfulness, I've been reading two Thomas Bien books, applying mindfulness to psychotherapy and happiness. The Buddha's Way of Happiness: Healing Sorrow, Transforming Negative Emotion, & Finding Well-Being in the Present Moment is the book I was sent, and then that made me realize I had Mindful Therapy: A Guide for Therapists and Helping Professionals on my book shelf. There's a lot of good stuff in these books. I love the integration of psychotherapy and Buddhism.

And finally, I've finished Awakening Kindness which is a lovely exploration of metta. You can't get enough of this stuff, reading a book helps me to put my mind into thinking about this head space.

I've just bought The Art of Reflection (Buddhist Wisdom in Practice) and I look forward to reading this book. Supposedly it's the only book on reflection as a spiritual practice in the Buddhist tradition of English language books. I can't verify that that, but I became interested in it when Vajramati had us reading an excerpt to discuss on a rare sangha night that I could actually attend.

No comments: