Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ten precepts

Ten Precepts
1. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from killing of living beings.

2. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from taking the non-given.

3. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from sexual misconduct.

4. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from false speech.

5. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from harsh speech.

6. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from frivolous speech.

7. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from slanderous speech.

8. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from covetousness.

9. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from hatred.

10. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from false views.


Positive Precepts

1. With deeds of loving-kindness I purify my body.


2. With open-handed generosity I purify my body.


3. With simplicity, stillness and contentment, I purify my body.


4. With truthful communication I purify my speech.

5. With words kindly and gracious I purify my speech

6. With utterances helpful, I purify my speech.


7. With utterances harmonious, I purify my speech.


8. Abandoning covetousness for tranquility I purify my mind.


9. Changing hatred into compassion, I purify my mind.

10. Transforming ignorance into wisdom I purify my mind.

No comments: