Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ten precepts

Ten Precepts 
1. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from killing of living beings. 
2. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from taking the non-given. 
3. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from sexual misconduct. 
4. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from false speech. 
5. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from harsh speech. 
6. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from frivolous speech. 
7. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from slanderous speech. 
8. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from covetousness. 
9. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from hatred. 
10. I undertake the item of training which consists in abstention from false views. 

Positive Precepts 
1. With deeds of loving-kindness I purify my body. 
2. With open-handed generosity I purify my body. 
3. With simplicity, stillness and contentment, I purify my body. 
4. With truthful communication I purify my speech. 
5. With words kindly and gracious I purify my speech 
6. With utterances helpful, I purify my speech. 
7. With utterances harmonious, I purify my speech. 
8. Abandoning covetousness for tranquility I purify my mind. 
9. Changing hatred into compassion, I purify my mind. 
10. Transforming ignorance into wisdom I purify my mind.

No comments: