Thursday, October 11, 2012

Daw Suu

Things could be worse.  Things could be better.

Today I watched The Lady, about the life of Aung San Suu Kyi.  The Burmese call her Daw Suu.  The feeling you get is that people can get caught up on the larger world movement, and that can destroy one's personal life, and the struggle for integrity against the larger world.  What a weird long distance relationship.  What a dramatic conflict between the personal and the political.  I guess that's what being a political prisoner is all about.

She should have been the president of Burma, except for the Junta.  She could have left and just been with her family and lived a quiet life, except for her conscious.

Daw Suu sacrificed her family life, for her political life, though her sons were teenagers when she started her quest for democracy.  All she wanted was democracy.  It helps me to realize, as broken as our political system is, at least there's a shred of democracy.  It could be worse.  I like how she focuses on fear in what I read about her.  There's an amazing scene where a line of men are lined up, pointing guns and she walks into them.  I think that's why I'm sickened by the shenanigans in our democracy in the USA.  It's not so dramatic as guns pointed as people.

Daw Suu's life challenges me, why am I not more political?  I still struggle to find my cause, beyond being nice to the people around me, and blogging, though I am deeply touched by the Buddhist movement in India.  I have a hard time imagining what I could contribute, perhaps I need to work harder figure that out, raise money to go there and do some research.  Daw Suu quotes her father:  "You may not think much about politics, but politics thinks about you."

I've shot guns in my life for sport.  But seeing them used in this movie make me sick.  Guns are sickening.  It's time we move past guns, grow out of it, grow up.

I'm not a huge fan of Gandi because he wasn't really against caste, but Daw Suu continues the tradition of non-violent protests, which I do like.  She's really courageous.

I read most of the wikipedia entry about her before I watched the movie.  There's nothing about hunger strikes (presented in the movie), in the wikipedia entry.

Before today, I learned mostly about her through following the links of Rev. Danny Fisher.  He's a real blogsattva, and if it's social and political awareness you want, you follow his blog.  He's the one who hipped me to this movie.

I like Luc Besson.  I like David Thewlis (Naked is one of my favorite movies).  Burma is 89% Buddhist, btw, compared to 0.7% in the USA.  Daw Suu was married to Michael Aris, a scholar.  Her husband was a twin, both Himalayan scholars.  Another interesting fact, her brother drown in an ornamental pool.

No comments: