Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Chapter 9 The Life of the Buddha



This chapter is a grab bag of stories left over from the first 20 years. The wonderful story of Meghiya is one. It is filled with what you can do that is not meditation, to work towards the goal.

The thing I found most interesting was the Buddha's going through the 5 elements and pointing out how they are indifferent. The 6th element practice is something I've done a bit on retreat. I did it off retreat, and I felt like I was breaking apart, and realized that I can only do that meditation in a really supportive environment like a retreat. Then after that, the Buddha lists meditations for various problems:

"Practice loving-kindness to get rid of ill-will. Practice compassion to get rid of cruelty. Practice sympathy to get rid of apathy. Practice equanimity to get rid of resentment. Practice contemplation of loathsomeness in the body to get rid of lust. Practice contemplation of impermanence to get rid of conceit 'I am'. Practice mindfulness of breathing; for when that is maintained in being and well developed, it brings great fruit and many blessings" (p. 123)

I find it interesting that sympathetic joy helps one with apathy. I find it interesting for the AA people that equanimity gets rid of resentments. I find it interesting that contemplation is part of the path, makes me think of Ratnaguna's book On Reflection. And it makes me think that MOB, mindfulness of breathing is the paramount meditation.

No comments: