Tuesday, March 03, 2020

The Empty Mirror by Janwillem Van de Wetering

I love the monastery memoir, and I'm reading this one: The Empty Mirror by Janwillem Van de Wetering. It got a really beat up, and falling apart copy from the library.

The book is an early entry into the conversation of Buddhism in America, and seems to be fending off some weird ideas that aren't really around today. He's not exact in his understanding and teaching of the doctrine, IMHO. I like it that he talks about his pride spurring on his practice with others.

Janwillem van de Wetering passed away in 2008. He was in the Daitoku-ji monastery in Japan in the 50s. His teacher was Oda Sessō of the Rinzai School of Zen Buddhism.

This type of Zen is practiced in NYC at New York Zendo Shobo-Ji. They have a full calendar. They have an interesting reading list.

He says Buddhists can't go to war. That was what I felt when I went a certain depth into war. But "Buddhist" countries have gone to war. The superficial culture of a nation who identifies with Buddhism can go to war. In fact the temples supported the Emperor of Japan in his wars. Van de Wetering didn't know.

I found it funny that he imagined he was controlling a beautiful woman with his mind, when on the subway, in the chapter called A Little Black Magic.

You think you've heard all the Zen stories. Well, I never heard of Bobo-roshi, or Friar Fuck, even though I've read Lust for Enlightenment. Maybe I just forgot it.

After a year he moves out of the monastery to live with a friend who is following the path and they go to the monastery to meditate at 3am and in the evening.


Quotes:

""You read too much," the master said. "I told you you shouldn't read so much. You identify yourself with all sorts of heroes and fools and try to swallow their experiences. It isn't wrong to read, but it shouldn't lead to dreaming, or living through another person."" (p.39)



Reviews:

Publishers Weekly

Blogtrotter

I liked this post


Links

Here is a PDF of the book

No comments: