Saturday, March 17, 2012

Davidson's research and book

Reading the introduction of The Emotional Life of Your Brain: How Its Unique Patterns Affect the Way You Think, Feel, and Live--and How You Can Change Them, I was instantly hooked because I learned something.

When you think about research on meditation, Davidson is the first name I think of, and not because I went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  I never met him, but I spent 16 years of my life in that lovely town.

I don't really think I need research to prove to me that meditation is good.  I guess how, is important, the details.  I am resistant to some of this stuff because I just don't need any proof.

As a therapist, I found the brain structures and emotional styles idea very interesting.  Patience is high self awareness and sensitivity to the context.  That's something I didn't know.

There's two kinds of psychological research.  Some proves common sense, I find utterly uninteresting.  But when you learn stuff, that is interesting to me.  And after reading the introduction to this book, I am fascinated.

I love reading about scientists lives, and personal narratives.  Davidson was steered away from his interest in meditation, and it was only after he'd gotten tenure, that he followed his interest in meditation.  I'm so curious about his journey.

Also the book is co-written with a science writer, Sharon Begley.

I'm really psyched to read this book for many reasons and on many levels.  Hopefully more updates to follow on this book.



No comments: