Saturday, December 29, 2012

Loneliness

Loneliness is a great topic. You can be around a million people and still feel alone. Lots of tendrils on that one. Developing friendships takes time and effort. Work is a thing against it. The way our society goes home in the evening and watches TV is another factor. If Buddhism is about anything it's about self fulfilling prophecy. If you want friends, move towards it. The feelings point to actions.

When you meditate you learn to tolerate negative feelings and not react:  Loneliness, anger, sadness, jealous, envy, confusion, and then we can get sophisticated and list foreign named emotions that could distract.

Also: "Emotions, in my experience, aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in "sadness," "joy," or "regret." Maybe the best proof that the language is patriarchal is that it oversimplifies feeling. I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic train-car constructions like, say, "the happiness that attends disaster." Or: "the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy." I'd like to show how "intimations of mortality brought on by aging family members" connects with "the hatred of mirrors that begins in middle age." --From the novel Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides p217.

I think it's great you can open up and speak your truth, shows courage. I bet you'll be a good friend to someone.

No comments: