Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Refuge musings

Looking at my life, what do I really take refuge in? What are the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha up against?

By cutting at the root, our relationship with desire and pleasure, he cuts at the very heart of our enjoyment. Is not sticking the second arrow in enough to compete with these other options? 

#1. I like literature, and narratives in TV and movies. There's something about being swept away by a narrative. 

I wonder what the Buddha would think about these times. Would he understand the pull of complicated artistic narratives? Would the Buddha see the themes of samsara and be more confirmed in his path? He would probably see the love of languages, and developing an aesthetic appreciation as a distraction. 

Good storytelling and presentation of the Dharma is used to be persuasive and convert people to the way.

#2. Music is also a refuge. I can spread a wide net in these times. A new opera is streamed every day, and that's just the Met. There are more. Jazz is streamed lived often. There are so many videos of artists on Vimeo and YouTube. 

I wonder what the Buddha would think of all kinds of music these days.

Would the Buddha being irritated at these distractions make him seem like a fuddy duddy? Would he think the heavy metal monk had gone astray? Would he find it pleasant, but would politely suggest to go for enlightenment and then appreciate music.

Dharma music isn't fully developed but does exist.

#3. The chase for love and intimacy is pretty bewitching. Feeling loved, cared for, supported, understood and accepted is quite intoxicating. There can be a lot of fantasizing in love off a little spot, or love can be gritty, real and close up. It's so intoxicating you can see videos of people giving up in frustration, like a child, hoping someone will come along and say it's OK. Love is just a specific narrative, and perhaps could be included in #1 above, but relationships are more interactive than a narrative. 

Indeed family and relationships are often seen at the heart of the meaning of life, and what is central to making us happy. Friendship is co opted by Buddhism in service of the mission. The fantasy of sangha, the closeness of 

"I hope you are all keeping well, Anuruddha, I hope you are all comfortable, I hope you are not having any trouble getting alms food." They replied: "We are keeping well, Blessed One, we are comfortable, and we are not having any trouble getting alms food." Buddha: "I hope, Anuruddha, that you are all living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes." 

Anurruddha: "Surely, venerable sir, we are living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes."

Buddha: "But, Anuruddha, how do you live thus?"

Anuruddha: "Venerable sir, as to that, I think thus 'It is a gain for me, it is a great gain for me, that I am living with such companions in the holy life.' I maintain bodily acts/verbal acts and mental acts of loving-kindness towards those venerable ones both openly and privately. I consider: 'Why should I not set aside what I wish to do and do what these venerable ones wish to do?' Then I set aside what I wish to do and do what these venerable ones wish to do. We are different in body, venerable sir, but one in mind." The venerable Nandiya and the venerable Kimbila each spoke likewise. (MN 31 Culagosinga sutta)

Finding the right sangha is a little like the quest for love, it can be fraught with many frustrations. 

On the one hand you want to be tolerant and inclusive, but on the other hand, it can be like an exclusive club, not everyone gets into.

Can you treat everyone with love and reverence? Following this line of thinking I'm thinking that the Brahma Viharas are pretty important. I've started reading Bhikkhu Analayo's book Compassion and Emptiness in Early Buddhist Meditation.

Free books can be got from Wildmind. The Dharma is supposed to be free, but publishing a book isn't free, and well, if an author makes a living, well that's not bad either. If the people who work at a publishing house earn a living, that can't be harmful. And most committed Buddhists put their sangha charity in their wills.

Blogging and my obsession with Buddhist culture might be an obsession distracting me from practicing meditation. Do you need anything more than some rudimentary instructions and committing to meditating a lot? 

Can Konmari and Thoreau guide us past the thicket of materialism and culture? Marshall Rosenberg can help us to communicate. 

The majority of forces in society are away from stillness, simplicity and contentment. 

Today's reflections? What distracts me? What do I not want to be distracted from?


No comments: