Saturday, July 17, 2021

Not a panacea

“I began meditating in search for a decrease in stress and anxiety. I got that, and then somehow became swept away in a new-age super religion without even knowing it. There are parts of this essay that embarrass me. But, when you’re vulnerable and looking for answers, you take what is available. For me, that was the enlightenment pill, and I almost choked on it.“

Fascinating article by Dan Lawton about his negative experiences meditating, a few researchers who listen to negative experiences, and how many teachers deny there can be negative experiences in meditation. Courageous article.

I have panic attacks sometimes on retreat, when I feel trapped, can't move, in meditation. But then I cry and it seems to release a lot of things. I wouldn't describe that as a negative experience, but I suppose it's a challenging experience.

No comments: