Monday, February 14, 2022

Sakya

I'm just a practitioner who is trying out a new sect, I don't represent the tradition in anyway, only my experiences in trying to hang out online. I aspire to the utmost respect for this sacred lineage. I also aspire to be authentic and real. 

"she who has no self" 
She is an embodiment of the Buddhist philosophical concept of anātman 
(anatta in Pāli).


I'm going to do a deep dive into Sakya tradition. I spent time online listening to a teacher, doing a puja, and in meditation, with a really wonderful meditation teacher who was leaving for some time. Some of it was familiar. Some of it seemed unfamiliar. My daughter was with me so there were some interruptions and I meditated while watching her at the park in the snow.


Researching online:

General: Sakya means pale earth: Wikipedia, Rigpa Shedra

Founder: Virūpa (See below)





Founder: Sachen Kunga Nyingpo

Five Sakya Patriarchs

Founding monastery founded by Khön Könchok Gyalpo

Leader

Current Leader

The Path and Fruit


I am currently reading: Trichen, Chogyay. History of the Sakya Tradition, Ganesha Press, (1993). And Lamdre Dawn of Enlightenment by Lama Choedak Yuthok (1997).

If I had money and time I would go to Tibet for Saga Dawa Festival in June. Looks amazing. (Saga Dawa Festival) I'll settle for a push to prepare myself for this.

I forgot what having something to look forward to can do for my motivation and excitement. I forgot the bump you can get from being with sangha.

Here are videos I found

Devotion vs Cultishness in Buddhism, HH Sakya Trizin (YouTube) 2 minutes.

What is the Sakya Tradition? Sakya Trichen - Buddhism Explained (2018) (94 minutes) Tibet House NYC. It's interesting in the question and answer, he's very much in favor of equality of opportunity for women. He recognizes women's contributions. He thinks study and meditation are equally important. You study to meditate. Regarding consciousness surviving death, he points out you can't sense consciousness. He thinks those who practice will grasp the clear light, remain in meditation when consciousness leaves the body, and I guess he said goes out into the universe. 

Living a Virtuous Worldly Life According to the Dharma by H.H. Sakya Trichen (50 minutes). He talks about the Jewel Garland.


Other Links:

The real reason the Sakya Trizin resigned: It's not clear why the order went from lifetime leadership to 3 year terms.

Learn Tibetan language.

Short Sadhana of Dorje Shugden (More associated with Gelugpa tradition) 

About Dorje Shugden


Further Resources 

Compendium of Sadhanas by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo (1820–1892) and later supplemented by Jamyang Loter Wangpo (1847–1914).

No comments: