Friday, October 14, 2022

Fruits of the practice according to Buddhaghosa

"Pleasant dwelling in the happiness of truth in the present life; enjoyment of all objects through investigation; acquisition of worldly knowledge; the attainment of perfection." (p. 40 Path of Freedom)


Dwelling in happiness is like heaven on earth or living in the pure land. The happiness research can plug into this but it's separate. There are objective non-Buddhist things people do to achieve happiness, and those things have been studied. It's kind of like asking not how to do I overcome my problems, but what could I do to be happy. It might be a form of bypassing, it might be a form of burying your head in the sand, and it might be something only for the rich, but anyway, there's a lot of research into it. Emotional intelligence is often said to be a key component, more important than education or intelligence. Money can give you a greater sense of independence (source). Some people think gut health is the secret to happiness.

The Buddhist path is quite austere and involves a lot of support, space and meditation. 

Buddhaghosa explains, "At first I was a naked ascetic; I did not move my body or open my mouth for seven days and seven nights; I sat in silence enwrapped in bliss." This is the meaning, in the Noble Teaching, of 'pleasant dwelling in the happiness of truth in the present life'."


"Enjoying of all objects through investigation" is a kind of wisdom of equality and quite a level of resolution and integration.

Buddhaghosa explains, "a yogin acquires concentration and is not hindered by objects."


"acquisition of worldly knowledge": What? That's kind of a surprise. You mean you can't survive just on Buddhist knowledge alone? 

Buddhaghosa explains, "Acquisition of worldly knowledge' means that one having acquired concentration, develops the five faculties of knowledge, namely, psychic power, divine ear, knowledge of others' thoughts, recollection of past existences, and the divine eye. Therefore, the Blessed One has declared: "With concentrated mind one is able to change one's body at will. Thus one produces psychic power in the various modes."

Huh? I guess I thought that stuff might be a fruit, but it's not really something you play with. I need to think more about this.


"attainment of perfection": As someone who has identified aspects of perfectionist, this kind of talk makes me anxious. Of course it's an easy put down to point out how not close to perfection a perfectionist is. When I was introduced to the topic, I began to see it everywhere. My grandfather showing me wedding photos where he pointed out the flaws in tailoring. It's basically the critical mind that is so useful to humans, but also so nerve wracking. Buddhaghosa isn't afraid to talk of purity and perfection. He's pointing at something. My modern ears twitch at the words, but he's pointing at something. It's the ultimate level, I think, the top, the highest attainments. There is something higher, something deeper, something more, hard to imagine for someone like me, but I do like a good challenge.

I like it that he says you become "perfect gradually", that's feels like an infinite number approaching a limit.

Buddhaghosa explains, "'The attainment of perfection' means that one having a concentrated mind, although one has yet to reach the stage of the learning-ender, may not fall back at all. One gains (a good) reward through concentration. One attains to 'the form', 'the formless' and to perfection." (p. 41)


Eight mental states that prevent concentration: lust, hatred, indolence, rigidity, agitation, uncertainty, delusion, absence of joy and bliss.


"eight states are causes: renunciation, non-hatred, brightness, non-disturbedness, all skilful states, sustained application of thought, gladness, and those states that arouse knowledge of the truth."


7 requisites: "virtue, contentment, shielding of the faculties, moderation in drink and food, not sleeping in the first, middle and last watches of the night, the being intent on wisdom and a calm and quiet dwelling-place."


Good lists, but I fear I'm not as evolved as I need to be to interpret all this.



Unrelated graphic:



No comments: