Friday, May 05, 2023

Vesak Day



Vesak Day is May 5th. I'm focused on not forcing myself to feel a certain way, but this is the day to let joyful emotions loose that I actually feel about the three jewels. The way I feel when my team scores a goal. Have you noticed how you're allowed to go berserk when your team scores?! That's the outlet. Today is a day to let that Dharma love out. 

Listen to a Dharma talk. I happened across a Dharma talk from Sravasti Abbey. It was live, not sure if they save it and rebroadcast it. Was a pretty good talk by Thubten Chodron on the Bodhicaryāvatāra. I think rebirth is a cosmic way of trying to provoke people to look at the bigger picture. So much insight and cutting into the self defeating ways. 

The highlight of my life was being intimate with a sangha. I get really excited talking and reading the Dharma. I have the faith that the Buddha really was onto something. 

May all beings be happy. May all beings be well. I was reading about how Erasmus was named after a saint who really encouraged intercession, the praying for other people, and I immediately recognized that as what metta is all about, wishing others well. It's a glorious patch to combat the virus of selfishness. Many of my friends are far away or even dead, but I keep meeting new friends, and the circle around me is one I can cherish. I really do feel like gushing about how lucky I've been despite my mistakes and adversity. 

There's a spiteful part of myself that grubs about how Christianity, Islam and Judaism all get holidays in NYC. I want Vesak to be a day off from school, parking rules not in effect. NYC is pretty multicultural, people are surprised there's a Muslim holiday kids get off for Eid. With 0.7% of America identifying as Buddhist, I'm not going to be seeing that anytime soon. Hawaii is 8%, California is 2%. (Pew)

How do you celebrate Vesak? You gather with sangha, with family. You study, meditate, chant, prostrate, make offerings. 


Links

Four Buddhists Share What Vesak Means to Them (Lion's Roar)

Photos from White House celebrations.

No comments: