Monday, October 30, 2023

I have a tiny Buddha statue somewhere in my kitchen. I have many Buddhas throughout my house. My daughter tells me she believes in god and she's not a Buddhist, which is fine, it's her journey, but I'm also going to teacher her hopefully, through my exemplification, about Buddhism. She was excited to find this tiny Buddha. She wondered if she should put it on my shrine. Even if she doesn't embrace the outward showings of devotion of mine, she knows what my shrine is. I've offered to help her create a sacred space with anything she wants, it doesn't have to have some guy, it could have a woman idol. She declined so far but I'm hoping someday she creates a sacred space of things that are meaningful for her, where she can go to center herself or reflect. I think she doesn't really understand the order of the home and the places things go in, but then she finds things and asks if they go somewhere else, and I usually tell her to just put it back where it was, but she's got a sense that things have a place and it's not just chaos, in the home. There was a leaf she picked because it was beautiful. It's been a while and it's not quite a beautiful. I want to throw it away, but give her the choice, shrine or garbage? She picks shrine. I feel silly for imagining she would make the choice I wanted. 

I'm making retreat oatmeal. For some reason my whole life I had boring oatmeal, and then on retreat, I learned you could put all kinds of nuts and fruits into it, and yogurt (vegan) and it was really yummy.



No comments: