Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Stonehouse

From The Mountain Poems of Stonehouse translated and commentary by Red Pine, poems by Shiwu (1272–1352). He wrote 184 poems in Mountain Poems, written in Chinese, while he lived in the Zhongnan Mountains. He was in Tiger Hill Zen lineage. Online it says Zibo Zhenke is one of the teachers. In the book it says Chi-an is the teacher. 


Grave upon grave buried beneath weeds 
before their funerals they carried gold seals 
but desire is no match for detachment 
and how can ambition compete with restraint 
lured by bait golden fish end up in kettles 
uncaged magic wings fly high 
worldly affairs don't concern a hermit 
I weave my robe from homegrown hemp


Don't think a mountain home means you're free 
a day doesn't pass without its cares 
old ladies steal my bamboo shoots 
boys lead oxen into the wheat g
rubs and beetles destroy my greens 
boars and squirrels devour the rice 
things don't always go my way 
what can I do but turn to myself


32 
I saw through my worldly concerns of the past
I welcome old age and enjoy being free 
rope shoes a bamboo staff the last month of spring
paper curtains plum blossoms and daybreak dreams
immortality and buddhahood are merely fantasies
freedom from worry and care is my practice
last night what the pine wind roared
that was a language the deaf can't hear








Some past posts on Stonehouse that include poems plus links:

Shiwu (9&10)


External poems (Unnumbered) (another)


No comments: