Monday, August 13, 2007

Bottled Water

The times has an article in the fashion section about how using bottled water is going out of fashion because of ecological ideas. I never thought about it that way, that ideas can become fashion in a positive sense. Anyway, long ago, I worried about what happens to the bottle when you drink the water you could get from the tap. NYC, so far as I know, has pretty good water. I think making the least negative ecological impact is important. I think living in a major city is by far the most ecological thing you can do. After that it's fine tuning. Using mass transit is another. I have to admit I'm guilty of using a car. How much garbage you create, how much energy you use are important questions. I think it's part of the uncovering your eyes process in Buddhism that you become aware of all these complicated issues. It is annoying, but being more and more awake is not an easy project. I think Buddhism provides the support for that process in sangha, in the dharma, and in spiritual friendships.

On a side note, I have some spiritual discussion on parenting on my parenting blog.

No comments: