Thursday, October 03, 2019

Odds and ends


There is a really good review of Stephen Batchelor's latest works by Dhivan.


I did a maximalist puja yesterday. The base was the 7 fold puja of the TBC. To that I added some things I've printed out about various issues, added the Bodhisattva Vow, and I add in the formulation of conditionality in Pali. I also added in a mantra to Milarepa.


Lion's Roar has a fascinating article on sujatha baliga who just won MacArthur Genius Grant. Here is a quote from the article: “I was sexually abused by my father, and what I knew then was that the very systems that were, in theory, designed to protect me, were what ensured my silence. If someone had asked me ‘What did you need?’ I wouldn’t have said ‘lock up my father’ or ‘take me away.’ I would have said ‘Help my family heal,'” she said.


Found this video of the 7 wonders of the Buddhist world. I think I've watched this before. But it's worth rewatching to me. Yup, I watched it 6 years ago. I love the little tents to prevent insect interference. I love it that she goes to LA.


Joke: What do you call a wolf who has figured things out?                                            Aware wolf.


Personal revelation articulation that has been resonating with me: Reading my actions is more important than reading Buddhist books. Every action speaks about embodying ideals. Eject sorrow over past mistakes, live moving forward.


I got pretty twisted up and confused about the phrase talismanic mysticism. Talisman is an object. Not sure if I see the Buddha as an object. But an ideal that hopes to show a important way of seeing things? Yea, I guess. I feel that the concept is slightly demeaning. Maybe it's not, maybe it's accurate and I'm the one putting demeaning onto it. Maybe all the Buddha is, is a magical incantation into the unknown.


Appropriations I don't like regarding Buddhism: The symbol that the Nazis took from India. Hindus who say Buddhism is just a subset of hinduism.

No comments: