Thursday, June 18, 2020

Character and Virtue

Sympathetic joy to those who are on retreat


I woke up at 3am and the result of a dream, I had a lot of negative highlights of my life. I got up and meditated, and then later listened to a book to fall asleep. When I woke up again later, I had a lot of negative highlights again, but it was morning and I got up.

Reading a book, I read about how William James was a bit of a waster, and he decided to take responsibility for everything that happened to him, no matter how absurd. And of course we know him to be the father of American psychology and a philosopher.

I immediately thought of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics. There are checks in the book that I read in the 80's.

Anandi's favorite virtues: Compassion and kindness, to be helpful in others pursuit of happiness.

It's hard sometimes when I am not connected to sources that nourish, or I'm not using what could be nourishing out of pursuit of simple non-virtuous pleasures. Not quite as nourishing.

I feel quite a fight with negativity this morning, but I'm battling against it.

My friend asked me what I liked about Mun's biography. I thought he was determined, persistent, focused and strong.

No comments: