Thursday, April 09, 2020

A similar to lute strings metaphore

I opened up the Connected Discourses or Kindred Sayings, and right away, the Devata asks the Buddha how he crossed the flood. I think the flood is the catastrophe of modern existence. That's just me. Anyway, the buddha says by not stopping and by not straining. If he stops he sinks in. If he strains he will get swept away. So by not stopping and by not straining we progress in the spiritual life. You can get excited by the shiney gewgaws of the miracles and promises, but like the king who leads his children out of the burning house with presents, what you get outside is a better present because it is real. I'm not sure if the spiritual life needs to be oversold, that is part of the annoyingness of many spiritual texts, they are straining too hard. We have to wade through the drek to find what is useful.


I know the Buddha ate what was given, even a finger from a leper when it fell off, but I think in this modern world he would be a vegan, that's why I love this work of art.

No comments: