Monday, August 23, 2021

Devotion

I think some personality types benefit from devotion and supplication. Maybe all. It's seen as important in substance abuse recovery. It might be part of a complete psychological makeup trying to be whole and integrated. 

Sports is a distraction and a diversion. It feels important to me in my relationship to one of my sons. NYCFC started some time after my son got into soccer, and we bonded over going to games. 

One of the players is Maxime Chanot. He was born in France, but he plays internationally for Luxembourg. He's played in England, France and Belgium, before he came to NYC. He's played for NYCFC for 5 years, only missing the first year of their existence. No other player from the 2016 roster is still on the team.

Maxime has a devotional routine you see him do. He touches his head, belly, and two shoulders, holds his hands up, looks upward, how bows down twice I think. He prays in the laundry room in Yankee Stadium. There is a caplin who comes midweek, and pregame. 

Fascinating video

No comments: