Thursday, January 05, 2023

Itivuttaka 38

"Two thoughts often occur to a Perfect One, accomplished and fully enlightened: The thought of harmlessness and the thought of seclusion. A Perfect One takes pleasure and delights in non-affliction, and with that it often occurs to him: By such behaviour I afflict none, timid or bold.' A Perfect One takes pleasure and delight in seclusion, and with that it often occurs to him: 'What is unwholesome has been abandoned.'”


I'm not sure if this is accurate. I remember an incident, where the Buddha told some monks to go meditate on death. He presumably was hoping they would think life is short and be motivated to practice hard, focused. But they took it the wrong way and committed suicide. His advice wasn't taken the right way, but the result was negative. 

At one time the phrase, "Buddhism has an ethics of intention," played about in my mind, but I don't think that statement is true. It's also what happens. I don't think the Buddha knew all the consequences of all lines of action because incidents like this happen, despite claims that he would anticipate all consequences. 

I must admit I can't find the incident after looking for it. Perhaps someone could drop the reference in the comments.

I like to be realistic, and boasting claims don't really work for me, I look for counter examples. Religious rhetoric is often overblown, maybe it's mythological. I've been wondering if literally believing mythology helps in the spiritual life, maybe somehow. I don't feel inclined to believe that, but I like to entertain the opposite proposition sometimes. Truths can be sneaky and hide behind things sometimes. Psychology is different than epistemology. You could use untruths to get into a better mental space? I'm not sure. 


Happy New Year 2566


Bonus quote: Conze confesses to having a messianic delusion in his memoir (1979: I 55): “From early times onwards it has been my conviction that I have come from a higher realm... and that I was sent to the Western barbarians so as to soften their hearts by teaching them the Holy Prajñāpāramitā”.




Links:

Cool photos link inside a Los Angeles temple: Tahl Mah Sah Buddhist Monastery

No comments: