Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Social media addiction

Addiction can come in many forms. Alcohol, cannabis, eating, throwing up, shopping, gambling, sex, codependency, video games and social media. Some people like to do AA, co-dependency and Al-Anon. Some people do all the different anonymouses. Until we're enlightened we're crazy, and it makes sense that addiction is an aspect of crazy. Communities of sobriety can be supportive. 

Addiction creeps up on you. There's a reason Buddhism isn't called peak experiences, because while those come for some, the dopamine rush can't be all you're chasing. The practice is called the discipline. Putting in the work, doing the hard things. You can kiss the joys as they go by, but ethics and perspective are important.

I've always been afraid of addiction. Every family has it in the extended family (if there are more than just a few people). To whatever extent that people in my family have struggled with addiction, in a way doesn't matter to my journey, but I suppose once you enter recovery, you see it everywhere, in many different shapes and forms.

Developing a recovery plan also involves developing the higher power. There are some who don't like the higher language, so maybe just the things that are important, guiding principles, and being mindful, being present. I sometimes see myself as someone in space, without anything to grasp onto, "Holding to nothing whatever," (source). But there are values, virtues, ways of being that I find useful, beautiful even. Relationships are everything. 

You can cut out substance abuse, get your ethics in line, finances in line, and there's still social media. I'm a bit obsessed with my soccer team, NYCFC. And not having a romantic relationship, I think my soccer team was my girlfriend for a while. Checking online for discussion was like checking in with my girlfriend. It looks like Alexander Callens might be going to Girona now. My local soccer team has had huge roster upheavals, and it's quite challenging to me. 

Anyway, there's always a point when you turn a corner. Not that addiction goes away or there isn't a lot of work, but it's almost the point where you see the issue and can begin to address it. Maybe you'll address it the rest of your life. Maybe it's a false summit. You have to define it as a problem to begin to address it. It's a sad thing when a diversion becomes problematic, and you see through the romanticizing, see more clearly. There's something all purpose about mindfulness, being present, attention, that helps me get there.





last edited 1/19/23


No comments: