Tuesday, September 08, 2020

What will American Dhamra be?

As Buddhism moves through countries, it develops a unique flavor in each country. It is meant to be that way because of conditionality. People will use the teachings in different ways. 

In the end, the path in my opinion is about meditating, being ethical, building community and receiving the support of the ancient teachings through books and sangha. There is an essential immutable path, and there is some flexibility in the path. We must each take individual responsibility for our spiritual lives, and our journey. Support is wonderful. 

What will America's contribution be? Will it be a more secular version of the Dharma? Will it be a more psychological version of the Dharma that has hitherto been present in the world? 

A lay Theravada movement seems to be one innovation. IMS teaches the teachings without requiring one being a monk. Perhaps it's because Americans don't have the free lunch deal for spiritual seekers.

There are people who don't like the "self-help" superficial version of the Dhamra. It might not be superficial it might just be an early version of the Dharma. There's a part of me that thinks it's OK to use it as self help. There's a part of me that wants the Dharma to be more than that. Of course moving towards enlightenment is the ultimate self help, so I'm not going to get too hung up on the terms. 

People don't like that secular Dharma doesn't have a tradition. Stephen Batchelor has not created a sangha that is sweeping across America. His sensibilities and his writing have inspired a lot of people to practice in the Zens, Tibetans, Insights and Theravada traditions. There is however a kind of secular movement online. I don't know if there are any sanghas really. I bet there are.

Traditional sanghas have fewer scandals and seem to be more firmly embedded in the tradition. Cults and hooey can dabble with Buddhism to provide some cover, but ultimately vere away. Beware of cults and people who seem untethered by the community of elders. I think it's OK to question the tradition

I honestly don't know about the Pure Land. While a wildly popular version of Buddhism, I don't have any friend who practice Pure Land, unfortunately. I've read some books. I try to read up on Reddit. I try to include Pure Land in my thoughts. I hope to visit a sangha some day.

I like Amitabha and mantras, but I don't put much stock in my reincarnation. I see my kind of consciousness in the writings of others, and no doubt think I have a unique meme set in my noodle, and a unique set of circumstances, though I can see commonalities if I want to. I have no knowledge on consciousness being transferred between lives of homo sapiens. I respect the ideas of reincarnation as local extensions of pratityasamutpada and Hinduism and other religious ideas. I respect the lineage of teachers. I think the community of elders is nothing to sniff at. 

I feel reborn every day when I wake up, after losing consciousness. I know the metaphor of flame being passed from one candle wick to another. Sometimes I think chanting a mantra would be easier than meditating and pushing to grok the Dharma.

Spending 17 years working to integrate the Dharma into my life as a householder, a worldling. I work to be inspired by going forth to the three jewels. I read the 3 main pure land sutras, and listen to them being read to me. How can I strive to create a pure land in my life?--Is a thought that crosses my mind occasionally. I'm ambivalent about integrating it into my practice, curious and wary. There are times when I want to simplify my practice, and there are times when I'm more open and seeking outside inspiration. 

Seeking to resolve oppositional tendencies too quickly, or even feel I have to resolve contradictions. I do believe we are large, we contain the multitudes, and that consistency can be the bugbear of constricted minds. I'm not one big mush pile of chaos all the time, I do seek integration and simplicity. I seek to integrate my shadow and resolve my personal issues, so that I can practice the Dharma effectively. I seek to effectively go to refuge to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. I am open to feedback, and I also have a lot of confidence in my own will and practice, and don't need external validation to continue. There is a sense that I am in self sustaining practice, regardless of circumstances.

And as always, I go for practice with everyone, and hope to be supportive and helpful. Articulating my own personal journey in a blog is pretty pathetic, but I still do hope to support others anyway.



No comments: