Monday, December 28, 2020

Joy, delight and other positive emotions

I've never heard of Jill Shepherd before, but somehow I got hipped to this podcast. I particularly liked the idea that pain is like velcro and pleasure is like teflon. 

I've noticed that after about 10 minutes my mind settles, and there is a spaciousness. In the mindfulness of breathing, as I settle into my body, I listen for the rapture and bliss of stage 5 and 6 of anapanasati. My hope is to get better at hearing/feeling these subtle feelings. There is a kind of opening up of the positive side.

Shepherd talks about surprise at opening up to the positive side of meditation because of people's questions when she became a teacher, and how she was prone to focusing on the ascetic aspects, but that it was the Buddha abandoning the ascetic path that allowed him to have his memory of Dhyana


Links

Scroll down for her bio.

She's not to be confused with 2007 Miss Utah.

No comments: