Saturday, June 12, 2021

Kensho

If Kensho is the experience of oneness with everything, the unseparateness, the nonduality of reality, then there are gradations of that experience.

Is my first memory of feeling gravity pulling the tricycle on the pedals an experience of the universe, understanding that I was not separate from all?

Is the swing, rowing together in a 4 on lake Mendota, an experience of ultimate harmony?

Is those experiences where you lose yourself in exercise, dance, a movie, art, whatever?

Is flow at work, where you forget yourself, because you're focused on a task, a glimpse at the ultimate nature?

At the time I thought it was a delusion, and because of the culture of Buddhism, I didn't even talk about, but I felt I was the wind in the tree, I was the tree, I was the roots in the soil, the soil, the water, the earth, the space--on a walk on a deep intensive meditation retreat.

David Loy in Nonduality writes about how Neruda, TS Eliot and Simone Weil describe kensho type experiences. He speculates that it might be fairly normal human experience.

I want to learn more about how this relates to enlightenment and what the Pali Canon says about it.



No comments: