Saturday, June 26, 2021

What is Buddhist Fiction?

I've been following an excellent blog, Buddhist Fiction for quite some time now. I love fiction and I read as many of the books that I can.

Recently r/Buddhism had a post about buddhist fiction. I can't find it now, so maybe it was another subreddit. Anyway, someone recommended The Possibility of an Island, and I read it. I felt like the idea of Buddhism was discussed, and there were interesting questions about cloning and reincarnation, but in the end, I didn't feel like it was a Buddhist book. There were some interesting parallels and I'm glad I read the book, but I don't feel like it was Buddhist Fiction.

Contrast that with Zorba The Greek, where the ideas of Buddhism were seriously considered by the narrator, I felt like that was Buddhist fiction, even though the narrator didn't meditate. 

I honestly don't think the ideas of Buddhism are that interesting. More important, you meditate to expand your mindfulness and all that comes from that, realizing in your body that we're one with everything. Understanding ethics is important for meditation. Understand kindness is easier when we feel interbeing. All the talk and writing is just inspiration to be in a Buddhist zone, to inspire me to meditate, study and commune with my brethren. 

But I still feel like Zorba was buddhist fiction somehow.

Buddha Da is Buddhist fiction because it's a modern person engaging with the ideas of Buddhism. For me that will always form the central example of Buddhist fiction.

Looking at the list on the blog, I've not read that many Buddhist fiction. I'm going to have to try and read more of them.



No comments: