Thursday, November 16, 2023

Attachment

“ The most dramatic story I know about attachment comes from India and has to do with the way the Indians capture monkeys to use as pets. They attach coconut husks to stumps, and inside the husks they put a nut, with a few other goodies around the husk as bait. The monkey is attracted, eats the bait, then reaches into the husk to get the nut. In doing so he makes a fist, with the result that he can't get his hand out of the husk. His captors come up and take hold of him.”

P.115 Breath by Breath by Rosenberg 


I usually don't use that word, but I've been trying to learn about things that are maybe not as favored in Triratna, like Buddha-nature. 

I have to say I usually don't read Reddit posts that use the word attachment, and I find much of the talk about it rather superficial. It seems to be the go to idea that superficial Buddhist cling to. 

And psychologically, attachment is a good thing, insecure attachment is the thing to avoid. Read Becoming Attached by Robert Karen. So I have a natural aversion for the way Vipassana types blather on about attachment. 

I'm at the stage of my Buddhist journey where I've explored most concepts that are easy. Of course there's complex stuff in the literature that I can explore the rest of my life, and I'm doing that. But I'm also going around a mopping up some of the less favored concepts in Triratna. 

No comments: