Friday, November 17, 2023

How To Talk Buddhism

 



I must say that when I hear people talk about attachments, or samsara and nirvana or karma, I think less of them. More like I read it on Reddit. I know online stuff isn't that great and there's a wide variety of experience. I don't meant to be mean to beginners. I probably shouldn't riff off of social media misconceptions from strangers.

Karma is conditionality. Some people pretend they know everything, and karma is the perfect concept for them. What is the impact of your behaviors is a good question. Ethical questions are good.

Attachments are natural, and they only wear down through arduous hard work. Talk is cheap. Years and years of trying to let something go is OK to talk about. 

Samsara and nirvana are dualistic concepts. It's safe to say most people live in samsara. Nirvana is an ideal, like enlightenment, no attachments and good karma, maybe not unreachable, but not something you casually bring up in conversation.

People can speak how they like, I'm not policing speech, I'm telling you my opinions about that speech. 

What I want to hear is meditation struggles, ethical struggles, koan struggles, friendship struggles, empathy struggles, devotion sincerity struggles, what it feels like to be you. 





No comments: