Friday, August 23, 2024

Reading The Sutra of the Golden Light

In chapter 1, the question for me is, what would I want a sacred text to do to me? It makes all sort of extravagant promises about the impact of this sutra, hyping you up to read the text. We're clearly in hyperbolic mythical zones, but I wonder if being literal minded you would get more from really believing in the text's promises. The clang of worldly goods being given for this spiritual journey is meant to help you realize you can't even really describe what you're going to be getting, but if you really tried, what would you come up with? 

I don't recognize Ruciraketu, but he seems to be the one framing the second chapter. It seems like he might be a protector of the Dharma and accompanied many Buddhas throughout the cosmic history of Buddhism. His devotion leads to many riches, the Jinas appear, and golden light shines on him. His question is why does the Buddha of this era, Shakyamuni, only live 80 years? The divine light fixes people's broken senses. Are entering the Dharmakaya, the unconditioned, a transcendental zone, a pure land where all obstacles are removed from comprehending the Dharma. There is amazement, reverence. With all the mythical beings, with Shakyamuni, we would not see a drop of water as separate from the ocean. 

They seem to be saying to revere even a mustard seed of the Buddha's greatness in the borderlands, is enough to partake somehow in his greatness, and if you see beauty or partake in any joy, you are participating in the Buddha's greatness. If you partake in any comfort, you are partaking in the Buddha's comfort of the Dharma. In seeing something well made, you partake somehow in the well made Dharma. By having a little rapture in being drunk, you partake in Piti of meditation, any relic or artifact partakes in the greatness of the past, even if it is inconceivable, every glimpse is a hint of the possible emancipation to those open to it. The fantastical things are about stretching you, tortoise hair garments, rabbit horns, leech teeth used to make a ladder to climb into heaven. Animals dancing, owls and cows enjoy themselves in mutual harmony. All the Buddhas look the same here, so 80 years isn't relevant, because he partakes in the cosmic and mythical greatness. This answers Ruciraketu's question and he is more than pleased.

Chapter 3 will be an intense confession.



I read this a long time ago, and somehow I was drawn to pick it up again and I'm amazed by it. I'm aware of my qualms, quibbles, doubts and resistance, but I'm also aware that in being taken in, that I am leaving my secular and non-religious peers. I free stretched, inspired, and am getting devotional energy. Some people have trouble visualizing, some people have difficulty thinking mythically. Agog, I read and meditate throughout the morning.

It seems the 84000 translation is different than the Pali society text I have. 

No comments: