Tuesday, May 12, 2020

When teachings connect

Last night I was laying in bed, winding down for sleep when my daughter came into my room. I stumbled across Ayya Soma talking. I liked the tone and whatnot. But my daughter didn't want me to watch that.

I got up and read the Connected Discourses (SN5.2). I'm in the section about Mara, and then it turned to the section about nuns. I saw there was a nun Soma. Mara scoffs at a woman's ability to lead the spiritual life, calls her wisdom "two finger wisdom". Women check the rice with two fingers to see if it is done. I've never heard that insult. In the section, Soma recognizes Mara, calls him out, and triumphs over him.

I turned to the FB page and found the teaching. For some reason I felt a really good feeling about this teacher at Buddhist Insights, who co-founded the monastery and retreat center in West Orange New Jersey. I found out she was Italian. She was talking about the power of investigating experience to help deactivate reactive craving, leading to a bright mind. I just got a really good vibe from her and really connected with her short teaching. I noticed the absence of "I already know that," and other Mara talk in my head. I became a fan of Ayya Soma.


In my meditation today I was reflecting on the Buddha and I was impressed by his perseverance with following out to his goal of release. I've been really struggling to finish a book, ditto for sitting until I'm enlightened. 

I also like her co-founder Bante Suddhaso. Their banter between each other is cute, and enjoy the crumbs of spiritual friendship I can witness between the two.

I have a low grade plan to go monastic when my daughter goes to college in 14 years, and I'm turning towards this monastery if I can make a connection over the next 14 years.

More Talks:
Soma on gender in Buddhism: She was cut out of a photo. She's experienced more gender challenges as a Buddhist than in her past life.

No comments: