Tuesday, January 12, 2021

A response to Christopher Titmuss

I like Christopher Titmuss' talk on FBA. But his post after the attempted coup, clangs with me. Of course you can always point out the delusion of delusions, the American dream for one. But I just don't see that that is the apt point at the moment.

I don't know how provocative he's trying to be. He takes talking points of conservatives when he points out that black lives mattered when Obama was president, ignoring the increase in police violence, and the increase in the police force of right wing people acting not just as police, but also judge and jury, and the permission that Trump gave these people to be out in the open with their white supremacy. 

Yes, if you're looking for a perfect world in the political realm, you're likely to be very frustrated. The Buddhist path is a path that will bring great rewards.

Here is my response:

A president can't harness every instinct in America. He has to choose. Biden was hoping to inspire law and order, after a president that is historically criminal. I don't think you have to take care of and account for the Trump supporters when you become president. Most Americans accept the political process, but those who stormed the capital did not, and are being punished for their crimes.

I'm not sure if that's the time to point out that the American dream contributes to people's suffering. I wouldn't go to a school after a gunman shoots down people and tell them that well, in the end, you're suffering if you don't start the Buddha's path. There's a bit of a clang there. Of course we can empathize with how people got to the point where they felt compelled to do such a thing, and I have enough empathy for everyone, but read the room dude.

No comments: