Friday, November 05, 2021

6, 7 and 8

 I usually deal in the 5 precepts and the 10 precepts. 

Today I want to look at the extra 3 in the 8 precepts:


I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from taking food at the wrong time

I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations

I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from a tall, high sleeping place.


Background: In Theravadan countries people will temporarily ordain. Uposatha was developed so the lay could be monks for a day. Reading the Wikipedia article it looks like the it's a weekly thing, with the new moon, half moon, full moon and half moon. Not only Theravadan countries (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos).

I really like being connected to the moon cycle. Even in the city I can see the moon and I think the moon is amazing.

Putting your Buddhism on a calendar is good, and hopefully that's one of the connections with a spiritual community. Helps dispel the lay/monk douality. 


Discussion: OK so what's wrong with taking food at the wrong time. Monks don't take food after solar noon. I get all ishkabibble with daylight savings time, but there are times when solar noon is near to 1pm, than it is 12 noon. So that gives you a little time. You can eat two meals and survive. There's nothing inherently holy about not eating half the day, but some asceticism is needed, it helps free one up. I knew a guy who would fast on solitary retreats, so he could focus on not eating. He said you could make big sandwiches all day on solitary retreat. I thought was a cute phrase, "big sandwiches". Anyway, the point is to have a gesture towards asceticism and the middle way doesn't mean you can be a glutton. You can survive easily on 2 meals a day. I could stand to lose some weight.

"dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations" My grandfather was a Baptist minister, and there was a kind of constriction around the house. I never knew what exactly it was, but they were trying to be good people, and supposedly dancing was taboo. I have ecstatic dance parties with my daughter, but she always wants me to dance more. I'm not as into it is she is, but I go along with it for her. Movement is essential to me, and dancing is good exercise. Footloose is a movie about breaking out of the restriction against dancing. I'm pretty weak on resisting this one. But I'm sure I could give it up 4 times a month. 

I honestly think I'd have a hard time giving up music, but I don't listen to it as much as I used to. Life doesn't really yield to sitting around and listening to Beethoven's 9th. But I honestly think I need more good music in my life. But I can not listen to music if I have to. I could do that for a day 4 times a month.

Haven't been to a show in ages. Wish I had more money for that. I really want to see Dune. I haven't seen a movie in years. Let alone a Broadway show, or a concert.

Flowers on the shrine are wonderful. I guess you could not have flowers on the shrine.

I'm not a big fan of makeup. I don't think women need to try so hard. Bless them though. 

I don't really wear ornaments or decorations but I do have a Mets cap. I have a blank hat with nothing on it, so sometimes I wear that and I feel virtuous. I wear a hat because I don't have sunglasses, and I want to protect my eyes. A blank hat does that.

My bed doesn't have a mattress or a frame, so I struggle to get up off the ground every morning half asleep with my rickety legs. I think it would be better for me to have a raised bed, but I wonder if I'm more virtuous for not having a higher bed. Doesn't seem real, but who knows. 

I think specifics like dancing and high beds are still ideas of a principle. The principles are sound.


So anyway, as usual nothing profound, but just thinking about the extra 3 Uposatha precepts today on my never ending quest to be a better person for the benefit of mankind. 

No comments: