Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Had this post removed from r/Buddhism

I don't think I have the right to post whatever I want. Any reddit can be moderated however the moderators want them to be moderated. I don't have to go on Reddit, and one need not confuse the terms of use, with any freedom of speech (like certain Republican politicians think). I am free to post my views on my blog, though Google could take down a post. I think they took down a post once, but then put it back up. I can't even remember what it was about or how they almost thought it was controversial. Nobody is owed social media. The internet people want content on the internet so they can monetize and exploit your attention for advertisements. Eyeballs equal dollars. 

Anyway, here's my controversial thoughts of the day:

[Title] I'm reading about reincarnation and as a practitioner of 20 years, I have the following thoughts.

So if we are enlightened and don't cling to existence, we, with a state of our mind, stop rebirth.

In many ways, the monk acts like a Buddha, even if they haven't attained or transcended. A kind of fake it till you make it. Why can't we do that with reincarnation if that is not part of our present culture?

Reincarnation could be a cultural artifact of the times the Buddha was in, it was part of the ideology, world view and outlook. If the Buddha had been an American now he might talk about Cowboys football games, and the dynamics between Rachel and Ross. The culture he was embedded in took reincarnation as a fact, and he wasn't going to be that revolutionary, to reject everything. What he did was revolutionary enough. And he was not reincarnated. The Dalai Lama is talking about not reincarnating so the Chinese can't exploit his role. There is controversy about the Panchen Lama.

It is possible that reincarnation is a metaphor for understanding conditioned experience, the ability to imagine ourselves into various ways of being, a profoundly empathetic act. I am not wishing to do away with the empathy and ideas of imagining one's way into other lives.

You can be a gatekeeper and say people are not Buddhist if they don't believe in reincarnation, say they don't know the teachings, don't grasp the profound truths. What if you witness someone whom you respect, and find ethical and is a good friend, and seems to be genuinely progressing on the path. Then you find out they don't have any experience in reincarnation, and see it as a conditional aspect of the Buddha's teaching, would you then just reject them? Pity them for their confusion?

I get it that reincarnation is even more embedded in Tibetan culture, the Tulku system are an integral part of the way they work. They choose people to concentrate resources of teaching into. In a way it seems quite sweet. Nobody is trying to take that away from them over there. Can we exist over here without that?

[end]

So I'm reading The Truth of Rebirth by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu. That is what provoked my thoughts. He points out that there was no uniform belief of reincarnation and karma, and that there were annihilationists, a grim fellow who tortured thieves to see if he could see their soul or if bodies weighed less after being killed. I mean who wants to be an annihilationist if that is what you do?

OK, so what if the Buddha had a kind of moral retribution idea for karma and rebirth, some divine metaphysical punishment, to hopefully scare people into acting kindly. My feeling is that I'm not feeling it, and it's important to me to develop my thoughts. I know experts probably know better, and I do have respect for experts, that's why I'm reading this book. I'm still not feeling based on disabusing me of a common belief in reincarnation of the times.


Link: Story about how Dalai Lama said if science proved reincarnation wasn't true, then it would be disproved. Not that the Dalai Lama is my guru. 







I continue to write posts about reincarnation, here is another one:

I don't have any experience of rebirth either. I was told to keep an open mind out of respect for the tradition, which I have more than done, but after 20 years, I've done my due diligence, read books, talked to people. Sorry, I'm not going to believe in the 33 Hindu gods the Buddha supposedly wooshed a discipline to, to help him keep his chastity. I'm going to interpret that as metaphorical, or whatever kinds of way, that make it not literal. The 33 Hindu gods may exist in the minds of Hindus, and I love and respect other cultures.

If the energy has to go somewhere from the molecules is orthodox enough, I can get that, but I don't think that's orthodox.

Science isn't that great. Look up the science of Phrenology, read some history of science. I wouldn't say it inspires confidence.

My problems is that I'm skeptical. Show me. That's a personality type that has pluses and minuses. I have felt profound devotion, and caught the bug of Buddhism despite myself.

All religions are assumptions. Blind faith, you assume a paradigm of spirituality is true, and if it works for you then good. Buddhism assumes the Buddha attained enlightenment and that that is something worthy.

Honestly, outside of this possibly anonymous medium, I don't talk about reincarnation. I talk about what works for me, and essential Buddhism works for me. Some people can call me not a Buddhist, but I suspect those people have more issues than being the guardian of Buddhism. I hope not, though, because I wish everyone well. How the world works is not up to me, I can only try to comprehend it to the best of my ability. To the extent I fall short, that is my limitation. I hate anti-vaccination people because I wish to have the freedom from spreaders of Covid, but I have made many stupid decisions in my life that hurt others. I hope to forgive myself and move forward in a positive way. I don't think anyone is immune to mistakes. I'm going to work on myself to the best of my ability, for the benefit of others.

No comments: