Saturday, January 01, 2022

Final stories and thoughts on Road To Heaven.

Imagine a time where going into the mountains was a way to seek promotion. Porter reports that in Stephen Owen's book about 8th Century China, if you went into retreat, and then got a promotion, they called that the "Changnan shortcut". 

I spent my summers near Hayesville North Carolina and these mountains were known for being a hotbed of survivalists and right wing wackos. I saw a bumper sticker, "Heston is my president" meaning the head of the NRA was their real president. The grocery stores say, "American Owned" like there is some great foreign grocery conspiracy.

My friend who likes the wilderness drives onto remote public lands and camps out of his car. He has a special tent attached to the end of his car.

Porter ends going through the 8 Immortals.

I certainly think this is a monument book in terms of Chinese culture. I'm not sure if it has any great insights, though Porter said he hoped it would inspire people to practice more intensely and a not just lead comfortable lives. Something like that. Anyway, quite a wonderful book to read on many levels.

No comments: