Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left for the East (1989)



I like lists of Buddhist movies. 

I don't think Groundhog Day is Buddhist because every religion claims it as about their spiritual ideals. 

I couldn't find Zen (2009), but I did find Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left for the East (1989) on YouTube.

The Wikipedia entry about the film says it was written and produced by Bae Yong-kyun, a professor, painter and filmmaker. The film follows a child, young adult and elderly monk. The title is a koan.

It's actually shorter than Into Great Silence (2007), which is a Christian non-narrative documentary which shows footage of Christian monks throughout their day. I mean there's a narrative, but it's not a drama, it's just seeing these three guys, the young guy playing, the old guy doing stuff, and the middle aged guy working to get wood and whatnot.

No comments: