Friday, May 21, 2021

Asceticism, renunciation and strictness

When you come at things from not having them, it's easy to be more mindful for a little while.

I know how easy it is to be vegetarian because I've been vegan for long periods of time.

I know what hunger is because I have fasted for more than a day. I honestly never really faced hunger, even though I have food insecurity. 

I know how to free form meditation because I kept to the structured meditation I was taught for 20 years. I am grateful for the efforts of others to make the Dharma available.

I know what tiredness in meditation is because I stayed up all night meditating. Restful sleep is such a comfort.

I know what the pull of the internet is because I have not used the internet for 24 hours. Books are the original amazing technology.

I know what it is to apply your mind to learning because I have a home full of books I need to get rid of. Public libraries are glorious!

I don't need to take hallucinogens because I've gotten everything everyone brags about use through intense meditation retreats.

I know the convenience of a toilet because I've lived without for weeks. 

I have a feeling I could do without because of these experiences. Novel experiences are scary, not having a partner for the first time in almost 40 years is scary because it's new. Maybe I don't want a romantic partner, I could live more simply without one. It's just an urge to couple. 

I'm not saying cut everything out, willy nilly, that's just not possible. But these challenges make you see how your mind operates and you can be creative instead of reactive. There's a silver lining in most situations. My goal is to live with stillness, simplicity and contentment.

No comments: