Wednesday, May 26, 2021

KWL Book club on going for refuge blog

I just got David Loy's Nonduality from the library.

KWL is a way of attacking books. What do I already know? What do I want to learn? What did I learn?

What do I already know?

I've read David Loy's book Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution from 2008. He pointed out that the corporate system in the USA is geared towards greed. When a business has a question, the usual question is what will make more profits? So dump pollutants into the river? Yes, gives the shareholders more money than treating it. Loy favors the Zen sect, been authorized to teach since 1988. his teachers were Yamada Koun and Robert Aitken.

Wikipedia says about the book: "Nonduality focuses on the nonduality of subject and object in Buddhism, Vedanta, and Taoism, with reference to several Western thinkers including Wittgenstein and Heidegger. The main argument is that these three Asian systems may be different attempts to describe the same (or very similar) experience. The categories of Buddhism (no self, impermanence, causality, eightfold path) and Advaita Vedanta (all-Self, time and causality as maya, no path) are "mirror images" of each other. Ultimately it becomes difficult to distinguish a formless Being (Brahman) from a formless nonbeing (shunyata). Buddhism can be understood as a more phenomenological description of nonduality, while Vedanta is a more metaphysical account."

What want to learn: I wish to become more adept with the term "nonduality" and be able to use it.

Learned: This is his reworking of his dissertation at National University at Singapore 1984. More to follow.

Also I rely in reader response to express my learning experience. The following blog entries entitled KWL will explore my responses to the book, based on what I know, what I want to learn and what I have learned. I always loved the assignment of writing a journal and responding to a text. There was no need to grade just prove you're moving yourself through the material. Grades are a way of sorting out the quality of ideas, arguments and presentations, so we can keep lesser people out of say medical school or law school. We don't want people who don't deserve to be there, be there. How they come up with this judgments is perhaps based on knowledge, or maybe it's just sorting hat magic.

No comments: