Thursday, May 27, 2021

quote

“Of supreme serenity, with extensive wisdom, A man of great wisdom, devoid of all greed; He is the Tathagata, he is the Sublime One, The person unrivalled, the one without equal, He is intrepid, proficient in all: The Blessed One is he, and I am his disciple.” ~ (Upali Sutta – Majjhima Nikaya) (Colombo Telegraph)

Vesak Day, the holiest of the high holidays for Buddhists was yesterday. I celebrated by taking refuge in the Knicks, the local basketball team. I'm only slightly ironic in my taking refuge in watching sports, it's a vice I want to grow out of. I hope someday. But not last night. 

My local Sri Lankan temple is celebrating this weekend, online, so I can catch their chanting in Sinhala and Pali, which won't do much for me. There have been other celebrations online.

I always remember Sangharakshita saying it should be a happy day, a day of joy.

Hopefully with the vaccinations, we can get back to meeting together. 

In other news, the White House celebrates Vesak with the second gentleman.

No comments: