Thursday, May 06, 2021

Book by Margret Grebowicz

 


Margret Grebowicz has a 96 page exploration of the many meanings of mountaineering. Just as you can be an internal adventurer with meditation, you can be an external adventurer and climb mountains. There can be evocation of purity in both. Fascinating little book.

I've been fascinated by mountain climbing, but I missed the wall climbing phase at gyms, and have a middle aged body now that would be lucky to summit Marcy in the Adirondacks again. I've been to the snow line of Cotopaxi in Ecuador. The air was really thin and it took me a long time to get there. I've read Into Thin Air and the Russian guy's book about the same climb, and a book about discovering a body on the mountain. There's something of an adventure to these projects that I like. 

Grebowicz is interesting. PhD in philosophy and a jazz singer! Listen to her CD. She was born in Poland and sings in Portuguese. 

No comments: