Monday, March 14, 2022

Draug Srin Mo

(Milarepa: source)

It's cool Tiban culture, to some extent, hasn't embraced the internet in English. 

I'm reading chapter 4 of Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa by Tsangnyön Heruka, and it's about the demon Draug Srin Mo who pestered Milarepa, but he won her over with his songs. 

When I think of Milarepa, I think of this fierce meditator who lived in caves in rural Tibet, and would go into town and talk to people and sing these songs to them. People always wanted him to live outside their village.

(I have the old translation by Garma C.C. Chang. Chang studied with the 9th Gangkar Rinpoche Karma Chokyi Senge at Gangkar Monastery for 8 years. He has an interesting biography as well but you can't get a lot of information about him. I was thinking I should get another translation, and then I wondered if I read it enough to justify. You can see updated translations online.)

There's one scholarly article in English on Draug Srin Mo by Carla Gianotti, an Italian scholar. While you can have Google translate her webpage, there are no books for sale in English by her. 

The book lists an alternate name of Padmasambhava, Bedma Tutrin, and there's no entry found on google. It got me looking at alternative search engines to see if I could find anything. Alternative search engines seem to be obsessed with privacy, the environment but seem to offer little else. Even the Rigpa Shedra wiki doesn't have an entry for Draug Srin Mo. Maybe there's another spelling just like there's another spelling of Padmasambhava.

Reminds me of the Brothers Karamazov, when everyone had all these kind of weird nicknames. I'll never understand how Richard transforms into Dick.

This also reminds me of the importance of language. I was listening to Sangharakshita talk about Dardo Rimpoche and how he give him sadhana practices in Tibetan and to some extent he was struggling to understand.


No comments: