Friday, March 25, 2022

I've seen one to many plea to buy a Buddhism course

The majority of Buddhism on the internet is a plea to buy a course of the teachings, and/or trying to establish a brand for a book or a course or a retreat, or all three. I don't really think you need to buy anything, but if you do, buy a hard copy of the word of the Buddha to carry with you, though more than likely you already have a smartphone with a free app that accesses the Pali Canon, for free.

Next maybe spend the minimum to go on retreat.

Of course transport to sangha night costs.

I get it that people try to make a profession out of something they love. Best wishes to you. I don't think you have to be chronically poor either. I have no problem supporting teachers for your sangha, not saying don't do that.

Buy whatever you want. Not trying to control you. Expressing my feeling of distaste for social media in Buddhism to be all about selling. Perhaps I'm wrong to look at social media for teachings, true. Need to get off social media. 

Friday sundown to Saturday sundown is a media cleanse for me. I end up reading a lot more.



Bonus Link: Upali's Becoming a Monk (YouTube)

No comments: