Friday, July 05, 2024

Purity




“The quality of mind that is firm, steady, undis-tracted, and focused on a single object is called samahitatà (stability, collectedness). That mind is clear and pure, not disturbed by anything, unobscured by defilement. A mind empty of defilement is called parisuddhi (purity). Such a citta is fit and supremely prepared to perform the duties of the mind. This is called kammaniyata (activeness, readiness). It might be wise to memorize these three words: samabitatà (stability), parisuddhi (purity), and kammaniyata (active-ness). For correct concentration all three of these qualities must be present. This kind of concentration can be used not only in formal meditation practice but in any of the necessary activities of life.” p. 85 Mindfulness of Breathing Buddhadasa, 1996. 

I don’t like the idea of purity because it reminds me of Puritans and I think it’s an unrealistic standard that leads to a lot of mistakes in American history, and a lot of good horror movies. I like focus over purity

The voice: But can’t you see that the change from purity to focus causes you to leave behind the idea that you try to avoid greed, hatred, and delusion and unconsciously you can have a focusing agenda on one of those three poisons.

OK then it's focused not on greed, hatred and delusion. I've been monitoring my thoughts more around those 3 poisons, and it's not an unfamiliar scan of my thoughts for me. 

No comments: