Thursday, July 04, 2024

Reading about ill gotten museum items



When I learned a little bit about the artifacts taken from China in the early 1900s (one, two), I also assumed that with the human evolution, people would begin to give them back because they were stolen. One thing I've noticed about justice is that it's slow, but it is a kind of relentless force. I find it an odd thing when I postulate a genera of articles and information, that it actually exists, and I'm proud to discover it.

I've collected a short list of articles about returned artifacts:

6/21/24: A Rubens Returns to a German Castle, 80 Years After It Was Stolen (NY Times).

6/27/24: Amsterdam Museum to Return a Matisse Work Sold Under Duress in World War II (NY Times).

6/28/24: Ancient artistic loot will finally make its way back to Cambodia (Economist).

7/4/24: Cambodia welcomes the Metropolitan Museum's repatriation of statues looted over decades of turmoil (AOL).

7/4/24: Looted Artifacts Returned to Cambodian Soil (Kiripost)

No comments: