Thursday, February 04, 2021

Kizil Caves

I was reading the Kassapa Samyutta, and I wanted to learn more about Kassapa. There was a particularly interesting photo of a cave drawing of Kassapa:


It turns out the Kazil Caves in Baicheng County, Aksu Prefecture, Xinjiang, China have lots of amazing cave art. This area used to be a hub in the silk road, the kingdom of Kucha. The Wikipedia article on the Caves is very long and has lots of amazing art work. Check it out.


Kassapa led the sangha after the Buddha's death, and supposedly focused on the vinaya. I was listening to a biography on Ajahn Chah and he was focused on the vinaya. I heard the term "householder vinaya". So I googled it, and lo and behold there is a book you can buy or get a free PDF. Haven't been able to get to it yet, I'm still bewitched by a biography of Margaret Fuller, but I hope to get to it soon.

No comments: