Saturday, February 27, 2021

Quote from the Buddhavacana


"... I wield the various kinds of spiritual powers having; been one, I become many; having been many, I become one; I appear and vanish; I go unhindered through a wall, through a rampart, through a mountain as though I was in space; I dive in and out of the earth as though it were water without sinking, as though it were water; I walk on water without sinking in as though the water were the earth; seated cross legged, I traveled in space like a bird; with my hand I touched and stroked the moon and sun so powerful and mighty; I exercised mastery with the body as far as the brahma world." p. 673 Bodhi translation SN (SN 16.9 Sujato translation)

He goes through the jhanas before he hits this part, and you can read further powers like clairvoyance, and remembering past lives. 

Interesting that remembering past lives doesn't come until after reaching the highest states of meditation.

What seemed interesting to me is that he can see how we rush to pleasure and shrink away from pain, and the effect that has on people. The spiritual powers reinforce the teachings, don't get rid of the need for the same teachings. Even with all these powers, the spiritual program is in effect. Even if you become godlike, the teachings still apply.

The same human flaws of jealousy and greed affected the Greek gods, they did not really demonstrate transcendence or moral good, they were very human except with powers. You didn't pray to them to transcend humanity, you prayed to them to grant favors, consider you. The worst things happen sort of as an accident and as an afterthought of the Gods actions. The prayer was "Just make sure I'm not steamrolled in some God action that has nothing to do with me." 

It's like standing near a window and a stray bullet hits you. It's the karma of the people outside that you got caught in, you didn't do anything. They say Trump is responsible for 40% of the deaths by not doing anything, so 200+ people died because of Trump's karma.

I really like the image of flying like a bird. I've always been jealous of birds and dolphins, the way they move.

No comments: