Thursday, February 04, 2021

spiritual superiority

 "The researchers found that, after meditation, self-centrality in meditation-relevant domains was exacerbated, not diminished, and self-enhancement in meditation-relevant domains was augmented, not curtailed."

from "The Science of Spiritual Narcissism" in Scientific America.

They define spiritual superiority as the following beliefs:

six items:

    •       I am aware of things that others are not aware of.

    •       I am more in touch with my senses than most others.

    •       I am more aware of what is between heaven and earth than most people.

    •       Because of my education and experience, I am observant and see things that others overlook.

   •       Because of my background and experiences, I am more in touch with my body than other people.

    •       The world would be a better place if others too had the insights that I have now.

Researchers conclusion:

"“Our results illustrate that the self-enhancement motive is powerful and deeply ingrained so that it can hijack methods intended to transcend the ego and instead, adopt them to its own service.... The road to spiritual enlightenment may yield the exact same mundane distortions that are all too familiar in social psychology, such as self-enhancement, illusory superiority, closed-mindedness, and hedonism (clinging to positive experiences) under the guise of alleged ‘higher’ values.”"

Not the best article conflating yoga and meditation as the same thing, quoting Hindu teachers (for Buddhist meditation?) and quoting Chogyam Trungpa, who exemplified spiritual materialism more than he taught to transcend it (Children snorting coke at the party?). But it does bring up an interesting topic. 

I would argue that that is why you don't just teach secular mindfulness, you surround it with the teachings, including the importance of ethics, and the Bodhisattva Ideal.

It's a huge problem: to incorporate the teachings into what you want to do already without actually changing.  It's well know in the spiritual community (sangha).

I suppose the spiritual life is just like other parts of life. There are dangers and traps and ways to pervert teachings and wrong turns everywhere. There is never a reason to suspend common sense. I would argue that the spiritual life reinforces common sense. Just stepping into a room doesn't solve all your problems.

Also metta meditation helps to develop empathy. It's essential on the spiritual path IMHO.

No comments: